7 strangers, picked to live in a house...

Growing up as the youngest in the Chambers household, I rarely got to pick what we watched on TV. So while my friends watched Ren & Stimpy, Salute Your Shorts and Legends of the Hidden Temple, I watched The Real World. Back when it was actually an accurate representation of the real world.

And now it’s my turn to have my life taped, if you will. While hopefully no one will actually be taping anything, I’ve run out of ways to put it off. Camp was a great distraction for a while, and visiting my friends while they experience the real world was encouraging, but I can’t avoid it any longer.

I’ll admit that the transition hasn’t been as smooth as I would have liked. Even for nursing majors, this economy makes it difficult to find a job. Plus, I’ve been completely spoiled when it comes to finding employment. In the past, I’ve either been recommended or offered the jobs that I’ve had. It’s hard to go from being wanted, to trying to convince employers that I’m worth hiring. Especially when there are so many other qualified people applying for the same positions.

I’ve also been spoiled because I’ve worked for people who genuinely care about me and want the best for me. Over time, I’ve realized that this is a rarity. The last three years, I’ve had the privilege of reporting to people who challenged and empowered me to do the best job that I could, and I grew not only as an employee, but a person because of it. They’ve opened their homes and shared their families with me. They’ve laughed with me, and at me, and helped shape the person I’ve become. Apparently, that’s not normal?

I’m a doer. And I’m not doing anything. And it’s driving me nuts. I’m trying to keep myself busy, and hopeful about this whole job finding thing, but I’m starting to go crazy. I’m getting impatient.

If I learned anything this summer it was to be patient and trust God’s plan. I’ve found a church that I really like and am meeting with the youth pastor this Sunday to discuss how I can get involved. Aside from making Maryland feel more like home, it should give me something else to focus on, and help me meet more people in the area.

And so the transition continues. Hopefully soon I’ll be able to write about my sweet new job, but until then, Oscar and I will continue to talk long walks and fill out applications. I’m lucky to have a lot of friends, family and former bosses who are cheering for me all over the country. I definitely feel loved. Now I just have to convince the area hospitals that I’m worth cheering for!

Time to stop being polite, and start getting real.

Comments

Popular Posts