I got a job!!

..only not the kind you’re thinking.

On Monday, I start my new job with the youth ministry of my new church- Bay Area Community Church. I know what you’re thinking… that’s not a nursing job! And you’re right, it’s not.

Last week I went to a local nursing job fair and talked with nurse recruiters from a lot of the area hospitals. It became clear pretty quickly that my best bet for a nursing job was going to be after the December graduations, since hospitals prefer to hire new grads in bunches, so that orientation can happen en masse. Realizing that I was now about three months away from a career job, I realized that I’d have to find something to help pay the bills until that happened. Luckily, with the holiday season around the corner, I figured it wouldn’t be hard to find something seasonal.

Meanwhile, I’d been talking to Brent, the youth pastor at BACC, about getting involved. I’d planned to be a small group leader for the high school group and was really excited about the idea. When I realized that he was using the same curriculum we use back at Rolling Hills, I knew I’d feel right at home. I was talking about it with Brent and he asked me what I was doing while I looked for a nursing job.

It turns out that he’s been looking for someone to help him out for awhile now, and after interviewing a few people, he realized that he really wanted someone who had experience in student ministries. I met with him on Tuesday and talked about what I’ve done at RHCC the last couple of years, and why I love youth ministry. We both took some time to think about it and agreed today that it was a perfect fit!

It’s a part time position, which means I’ll probably keep looking for a seasonal job in the area. He knows that it’s a temporary thing, so I’ve committed to the next three months, which puts me right at about the time hospitals will be hiring again. We’ll reevaluate my involvement then. Because I think I’ll always be involved on some level, whether or not I’m getting paid, I don’t feel like I’ll ever just leave the ministry “high and dry.”

We have our work cut out for us- the church hasn’t had a steady youth pastor in about five years, and Brent has only been working there since June. We’ve both come from fairly successful youth programs, so I’m confident that between the two of us, we can give BACC a youth program that the kids and their parents will love.

It turns out that this was an answer to prayer on both ends. He’d been getting a little discouraged after interviewing a couple of different candidates. I’d started to really run out of money, and wasn’t sure how easy finding a job would be. Now I get to use my gifts and experience in a job I know I’ll love.


Just another reminder that God is good!

Comments

Popular Posts