April 1st has always been a favorite...
A year ago today, I took my last college final, celebrated 3 years with the boy I loved and spent the evening at Inman’s, bowling with some of my favorite people.
Today I worked 8 hours at a job I absolutely love, got my first adult paycheck, and spent the day acutely aware of the missing text about the beginning of another Oakland season.
I can’t count how many times I’ve thought to myself “it’s amazing how much can change in a year” over the last few months. In some ways, it feels like just yesterday I was bowling strikes, and in some ways that feels like forever ago.
It’s been a rough year- but looking back, I can say it’s been good. From having a blast at camp during my last summer vacation to spending the fall learning patience, and caring for my father in his final days before landing a job better than I could have dreamed of- It has been quite the roller coaster.
Some things are definitely better- my living situation for one. I may not get to watch as much NCIS as I used to, but the house is a thousand times cleaner, my roommates don’t party til the wee hours of the morning on random weekdays, and we spend a lot of time together laughing- mostly at Karl Pilkington and Rob Dyrdek. And I have a cute puppy to cuddle with.
Some things I definitely miss- having friends around during any and all times of the day, where heart-to-heart conversations could happen almost anywhere- including but not limited to the floor of the Comptroller. Impromptu trips to Wal-mart and Chicago, planned Thursday nights at Inmans, Kelsey’s at least once a week. The boy whose hugs could make the world disappear, and lived close enough for me to seek one whenever I needed it. Sharing peace and the Celebrate! communion circle.
I’ve learned what it’s like to have a family where everyone lives within a 2 hour radius of each other, and family get-togethers are a true reality. I’ve appreciated being instantly adopted into that family, and onto the family list-serv.
I’ve learned that being fiercely independent kinda sucks sometimes.
I’ve learned that when it happens in His timing, and it’s so much better than my own.
And I have a confession to make: I blogstalk. I process things internally, especially when I’m thousands of miles away from most of the people who know me best- which means reading other people’s experiences helps me process what is going on in my own life. I’m an avid reader of the blogs that the people I know write- but I also frequent the musings of people I don’t know. Most of them are friends of friends, whose blogs I found through links on other’s pages, which makes for potentially awkward interactions should we ever actually meet. I’ll admit that writing is really therapeutic for me- I don’t expect that people gain much from my blog- that I do it almost entirely for me. If there are people in the blogosphere who gain something from reading about my experiences, than that’s an extra bonus.
It is through one of those blogs that I realized I can look back and say “it was tough, but it was good.” That I could learn to appreciate the hardships I’ve endured because I know they’re preparing me for the future. Others have helped me highlight the blessings God has tucked into the stress. Saying goodbye to people you love is hard, but rarely are you truly left alone. That it’s okay to hold your childhood stuffed animal close and cry yourself to sleep when the sadness sneaks up on you, so that you can embrace the new day in the morning.
So yes, it’s been a difficult year, full of downs with a few fantastic ups. But it’s getting better, and I’m thankful for the people who have held me close, whether in prayers or in person, along the way.
Although I’ve been hesitant to dive into adulthood, the transition is going more smoothly than I can take credit for. I’ve learned a lot in the last 12 months- about myself, the people I love, and true service and humility. And, I get to work in a place where Nerf gun wars keep our patients laughing and distracted from the disease that will eventually bring their death, and talking about AP US History can bridge the gap between nurse and patient (and bring a few great memories to mind.)
Guess there’s something to be said for growing older, but not up.
The A’s are up by 2 in the top of the 3rd… and I can almost hear Daddy saying “Man, that Ichiro is quick! Our infield defense will be key in this one. And Cahill has to throw strikes. Baseball is BACK!”
Today I worked 8 hours at a job I absolutely love, got my first adult paycheck, and spent the day acutely aware of the missing text about the beginning of another Oakland season.
I can’t count how many times I’ve thought to myself “it’s amazing how much can change in a year” over the last few months. In some ways, it feels like just yesterday I was bowling strikes, and in some ways that feels like forever ago.
It’s been a rough year- but looking back, I can say it’s been good. From having a blast at camp during my last summer vacation to spending the fall learning patience, and caring for my father in his final days before landing a job better than I could have dreamed of- It has been quite the roller coaster.
Some things are definitely better- my living situation for one. I may not get to watch as much NCIS as I used to, but the house is a thousand times cleaner, my roommates don’t party til the wee hours of the morning on random weekdays, and we spend a lot of time together laughing- mostly at Karl Pilkington and Rob Dyrdek. And I have a cute puppy to cuddle with.
Some things I definitely miss- having friends around during any and all times of the day, where heart-to-heart conversations could happen almost anywhere- including but not limited to the floor of the Comptroller. Impromptu trips to Wal-mart and Chicago, planned Thursday nights at Inmans, Kelsey’s at least once a week. The boy whose hugs could make the world disappear, and lived close enough for me to seek one whenever I needed it. Sharing peace and the Celebrate! communion circle.
I’ve learned what it’s like to have a family where everyone lives within a 2 hour radius of each other, and family get-togethers are a true reality. I’ve appreciated being instantly adopted into that family, and onto the family list-serv.
I’ve learned that being fiercely independent kinda sucks sometimes.
I’ve learned that when it happens in His timing, and it’s so much better than my own.
And I have a confession to make: I blogstalk. I process things internally, especially when I’m thousands of miles away from most of the people who know me best- which means reading other people’s experiences helps me process what is going on in my own life. I’m an avid reader of the blogs that the people I know write- but I also frequent the musings of people I don’t know. Most of them are friends of friends, whose blogs I found through links on other’s pages, which makes for potentially awkward interactions should we ever actually meet. I’ll admit that writing is really therapeutic for me- I don’t expect that people gain much from my blog- that I do it almost entirely for me. If there are people in the blogosphere who gain something from reading about my experiences, than that’s an extra bonus.
It is through one of those blogs that I realized I can look back and say “it was tough, but it was good.” That I could learn to appreciate the hardships I’ve endured because I know they’re preparing me for the future. Others have helped me highlight the blessings God has tucked into the stress. Saying goodbye to people you love is hard, but rarely are you truly left alone. That it’s okay to hold your childhood stuffed animal close and cry yourself to sleep when the sadness sneaks up on you, so that you can embrace the new day in the morning.
So yes, it’s been a difficult year, full of downs with a few fantastic ups. But it’s getting better, and I’m thankful for the people who have held me close, whether in prayers or in person, along the way.
Although I’ve been hesitant to dive into adulthood, the transition is going more smoothly than I can take credit for. I’ve learned a lot in the last 12 months- about myself, the people I love, and true service and humility. And, I get to work in a place where Nerf gun wars keep our patients laughing and distracted from the disease that will eventually bring their death, and talking about AP US History can bridge the gap between nurse and patient (and bring a few great memories to mind.)
Guess there’s something to be said for growing older, but not up.
The A’s are up by 2 in the top of the 3rd… and I can almost hear Daddy saying “Man, that Ichiro is quick! Our infield defense will be key in this one. And Cahill has to throw strikes. Baseball is BACK!”

Just so you know, I read your blog every time you post something new. I love your writing, and reading about your life! You inspire me, and I miss your sassiness. (I tried to spell that sassyness, spell check said I was wrong). Basically, I confess that I also blog stalk, and your blog is among my victims! It sounds so creepy to call it a victim... No blogs were harmed in this stalking. I swear.
ReplyDelete