Walking on Water, Part 2
Where was I, ah yes- Nazareth.
![]() |
| wine tasting in Cana |
We saw the sights in Nazareth, including two Churches of the
Annunciation (Orthodox and Catholic), and a less-than-impressive Mary’s
Well. The churches were beautiful, as
usual, and we managed to navigate our way out of Nazareth much easier than we
navigated our way in. We stopped for a
quick wine tasting in Cana, and headed back south to Bethlehem.
After meeting back up with Elle Dub, we joined the rest of
the YAGMs and the English speaking members of the congregation of the Lutheran
Church of Jerusalem for their weekly potluck and volleyball game atop the Mount
of Olives. After delicious food and
fantastic fellowship, we headed to bed (in the Victoria Guest House) to rest up
for a full day of seeing the sights in Jerusalem the next day.
Walking through the Damascus Gate was almost like walking
back in time. Vendors were selling goods
in their shops in the same ways they have been for hundreds of years. We weaved our way through the twists and
turns of the narrow streets to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, which was
built on top of Golgatha, the site of the crucifixion.
Just like the Church of the Nativity, there
are different parts of the church that belong to different denominations, and
it was fascinating to see how each area was decorated, and to catch glimpses of
the different religious ceremonies going on throughout the day. It feels both unifying and dividing to the Christian
church- to see people sharing, but also insisting on doing things their
way. Either way, the church was
gorgeous, and it was humbling to walk around the location that celebrates the death
of the Lord.
We moved on to the Wailing, or Western Wall, which is the
holy site for the Jewish people, and it looked just like it did in every
picture and tv clip I’ve ever seen.
People all over the place praying, chanting, writing out requests and
sticking them into the crevasses of the wall, it was amazing to see people in
such genuine worship in such a public place.
It was also a source of joy and pride for the Israeli people, since it
was also Israeli Independence Day. The
flags were a-flying everywhere we looked, and people were shouting, clapping
and celebrating all over.![]() |
| The sky could not have been blue |
From there, we moved on to the Temple Mount/ Dome of the
Rock, which houses the Foundation Stone.
It was on this rock that Abraham offered up Isaac as a sacrifice, and
Gabriel accompanied Muhammed as he ascended into heaven, according to the Jewish
and Islam faiths respectively. It was
the site of the Holiest of Holies, the center of the Hebrew Temple, which was
destroyed when the Romans took over Jerusalem in 70. The Dome was built in the 7th
century, not long after the Muslim conquest of Syria. Non-Muslims are only allowed on the Temple
Mount at certain times, and are not allowed inside the Dome at all. Because Elle Dub is awesome, we were there at
the right time, and after a Disneyland style wait in line, and some
Bible-ditching (don’t try to take your Bible into a Muslim Holy Site, they
don’t like that too much- Holy Site Guards-2, Vickie- 0), we got to see it’s
magnificent beauty for ourselves.
After a photo shoot and some wandering around, we broke for
lunch and a nice cold Coke. We stopped
by the Garden Tomb, which is an alternative site for the death and resurrection
of Jesus, and were given a very spirited tour by a lovely British man named
Roy. I appreciated going to this site
because it is an example of how most of the Holy Sites are just guesses- it’s
not like Jesus left a neon sign at each time in His life saying “this is
exactly where I did this…” and while
historians and clergy members can infer and guess, there is always room for an
alternative way to interpret the scriptures and lay of the land. To me, the spiritual importance comes from
the general experience, not specific pieces of land. Jerusalem has not moved, nor has Nazareth or
Capernaum, and just being those places was enough for me.
We ventured up to Mary’s Tomb, and then down to the Garden
of Gesthemene, before we gathered our stuff and moved on to Ramallah, which is
perhaps the most modern Palestinian city.
We met up with some of Elle Dub’s friends for a night on the
town in Ramallah, which is certainly not a part of those standard Holy Land bus
tours- highlighting just how once-in-a-lifetime this trip was.
![]() |
| Moussa explaining the Aida Refugees |
Friday, we stopped by yet another site most people don’t get
to visit- a Palestinian Refugee camp. I
had intentionally gone into this trip with an open, albeit ignorant, mind on
the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. I knew
Elle Dub would have a Palestinian bias, because she lives, works and interacts
with Palestinians on a daily basis. I
knew my faith background had an Israeli bias, since I do truly see this as the
Promised Land. I also knew it wasn’t as
easy as any of that. Our tour around the
refugee camp showed just how complicated the conflict is. Moussa, the Lajee Center worker who gave us
the tour, had seen and experienced more in his 21 years than I probably ever
will. He was arrested by the Israeli
Defense Force about a week after we met him, for no apparent reason. Today is
Nakba, the day the Palestinian people remember those who were forced from their
homes during the war that established Israel as an independent country in
1948. Even after I got back, I’m still
not sure exactly what to think about the conflict.
![]() |
| Part of the wall that separates Israel from Palestine, which was built on the edge of Aida Camp |
This is what I do know.
Everyone I met, was beyond kind.
I felt safer in Palestine than I do I Baltimore City. People went out of their way to include us in
their lives, but did so without forcing their opinions on us. They took care of us and welcomed us into
their homes. They shared their hopes and
dreams, as well as their fears and worries.
Now, when people ask me if it’s safe to travel to Palestine, I answer
with a resounding yes, and I am confident that they will experience the same
welcome that we did.
We joined Moussa and the Dabke team from the camp at a dance
festival in Ramallah, which was also one of my highlights from the trip. I love dance, and I love traditional native
dances, and this did not disappoint. You
can catch a glimpse of it here.
![]() |
| The Tel Aviv skyline against the Mediterranean |
Saturday morning we said goodbye to Elle Dub and started the
adventure back to Tel Aviv- not the easiest thing to do on Shabbat. Luckily, thanks to some Valpo connections, we
had someone to meet us in Tel Aviv, give us some directions and store our
belongings while we wandered around the city and watched the sun set on the
Mediterranean. After a delicious dinner
without the Coke I ordered, we gathered our belongings, said thank you and
goodbye to our new friend, and headed to the Tel Aviv Airport to begin our
long, tiresome journey home.
All in all, it was an amazing experience. From the Dead Sea to Capernaum, Jerusalem and
the Dabke festival, it was a once in a lifetime experience that I am so
grateful for. We met lots of great
people, and built memories with friends, both new and old.
… that’s all folks. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.










Comments
Post a Comment