A Family Filled Holiday Season
Well that was an epic fail.
So much for posting every day, eh?
Oh well, you got a few more entries out of me, and I do think I was more
thankful in general throughout the month.
I headed down to Florida to spend the actual Day of Thanks
with Tres and his extended family- most of whom I’d never met before. They were very welcoming and friendly, and it
was nice to meet people I’d heard so much about. It’s an annual gathering for their family,
many of whom living in the Florida-Georgia region, and it made me wish that my
own family wasn’t so spread out all the time, but that’s a pretty standard wish
these days. The sunshine was gorgeous
and very welcomed by my vitamin-D deprived body, and the relaxation and
delicious food made for an all around great holiday break.
Tres came back to Baltimore with me, mostly just to make
sure his 12ft inflatable Santa got set up in my apartment yet again this
year. We also set up my fake Christmas
tree, and enjoyed a Friendsgiving with my missional community from my church. (yes, a part of my soul does die every time I
set up my fake Christmas tree- but my lifestyle doesn’t lend itself to a live
tree- so I buy lots of tree-smelling candles)
Unbeknownst to him, I had booked a trip to Portland for this
last weekend using my frequent flier miles during one of Southwest’s sales this
fall. So I lied my way through Friday
December 7th, and had him convinced I’d gone to work and our unit
Christmas party when in fact, I’d been flying across the country. He was surprised to see me, but had a busy
weekend ahead of him, and felt bad that he couldn’t make more time for me. I wasn’t worried though, because a weekend in
Oregon with some time to myself sounded like the perfect way to prepare myself
for a little bit of a crazy holiday schedule at work. The calm before the storm, if you will. I took him lunch at work, and then we
ventured to my very first NBA game to watch the Blazers play the Raptors.
Since then, I’ve worked a lot. We’ve been short at work for the last two
weeks or so, which means extra shifts for those of us who are on call. I got to see Tres for a bit while he was out
here interviewing for a job, but mostly I’ve been hanging out with kids, giving
them meds and trying to fit sleeping into a busy holiday season. I have two more shifts this week before a
weekend of gift-wrapping and church.
Then I get to spend Christmas Eve, Christmas and Boxing Day at my home
away from home, spending time with some pretty great kids, while helping make
the hospital feel a little more like home for them.
Hope your holiday season is full of family, love and
laughter!



Comments
Post a Comment