Valentine's Day Concert Series
I have a strange relationship with concerts- I attend them in clusters. 6 months to a year will pass between concerts, and then I'll go to a whole bunch- like the 3 I went to last week.
Show One: Mat Kearney with Sissy (or The Best Galentine's Day Present There Ever Was)
This is a combination of so many things I love- my sister, Mat, DC and Leslie Knope. If you're also a Pawnee-wannabe you know that Leslie celebrates her favorite gals before she celebrates actual Valentine's Day. If you're not a Pawnee-wannabe and you have no idea what I'm talking about, go watch Parks & Rec on Netflix now. Actually, wait until you're done reading this blog post, because once you start watching it, you won't be able to stop.
Mat Kearney is easily my favorite musician ever. I saw him for the first time in Portland at 17. Then twice at the Chicago House of Blues while in college. Most recently he opened for Owl City and I went straight to that concert at Pier 6 after work. So naturally, when Liz noticed that he was coming to George Washington University in February, and I already had that day and the following off, I immediately confirmed her suspicions that I'd want to attend. I made reservations at Founding Farmers to complete the Oregon theme of the night, and spent way too much time deciding on the perfect outfit- which ended up being an Oregon sweatshirt.
About halfway through our first cocktail at FF, Liz looked over my shoulder and said "Oh my god, he's HERE!" at which point my head whipped around and I started completely geeking out. I had been dreaming of this exact moment for at least six hours. While I was driving down to my sister's house I realized that since FF is a very Oregony, farm-to-table restaurant, there was a very good chance that Mat Kearney might actually eat there. And I might see him. And even though I'd been thinking about it all day, I still had no idea what to do when it actually happened... and the geeking out began. I had decided years ago that there were very few famous people that I actually would want to meet, should I find myself in the same location. For most celebrities, I'd just brag about being at the same store/restaurant/airport as them, but with Mat, things are different. I want to be his best friend. I've actually imagined myself moving to Nashville and going to football parties with him and fellow Oregon transplant (with whom he is actually friends) Donald Miller, and we would reminisce about recycling and snowless winters and VooDoo Doughnuts. But I was geeking out so hard that I knew I would probably forget my name if I went up to him myself. But, when I told Liz that meeting him would be like her meeting Andy Roddick, she took things into her own hands, and before I knew it (and the rest of my cocktail later) this happened:
Show One: Mat Kearney with Sissy (or The Best Galentine's Day Present There Ever Was)
This is a combination of so many things I love- my sister, Mat, DC and Leslie Knope. If you're also a Pawnee-wannabe you know that Leslie celebrates her favorite gals before she celebrates actual Valentine's Day. If you're not a Pawnee-wannabe and you have no idea what I'm talking about, go watch Parks & Rec on Netflix now. Actually, wait until you're done reading this blog post, because once you start watching it, you won't be able to stop.
Mat Kearney is easily my favorite musician ever. I saw him for the first time in Portland at 17. Then twice at the Chicago House of Blues while in college. Most recently he opened for Owl City and I went straight to that concert at Pier 6 after work. So naturally, when Liz noticed that he was coming to George Washington University in February, and I already had that day and the following off, I immediately confirmed her suspicions that I'd want to attend. I made reservations at Founding Farmers to complete the Oregon theme of the night, and spent way too much time deciding on the perfect outfit- which ended up being an Oregon sweatshirt.
About halfway through our first cocktail at FF, Liz looked over my shoulder and said "Oh my god, he's HERE!" at which point my head whipped around and I started completely geeking out. I had been dreaming of this exact moment for at least six hours. While I was driving down to my sister's house I realized that since FF is a very Oregony, farm-to-table restaurant, there was a very good chance that Mat Kearney might actually eat there. And I might see him. And even though I'd been thinking about it all day, I still had no idea what to do when it actually happened... and the geeking out began. I had decided years ago that there were very few famous people that I actually would want to meet, should I find myself in the same location. For most celebrities, I'd just brag about being at the same store/restaurant/airport as them, but with Mat, things are different. I want to be his best friend. I've actually imagined myself moving to Nashville and going to football parties with him and fellow Oregon transplant (with whom he is actually friends) Donald Miller, and we would reminisce about recycling and snowless winters and VooDoo Doughnuts. But I was geeking out so hard that I knew I would probably forget my name if I went up to him myself. But, when I told Liz that meeting him would be like her meeting Andy Roddick, she took things into her own hands, and before I knew it (and the rest of my cocktail later) this happened:
He was just as friendly and awesome as I expected him to be- complementing us on our Oregon outfits, having one of his bandmates take more than one picture ("use the flash, it's more flattering") and telling us to enjoy the show. I blabbered for a bit about how I was a stalker superfan who has been going to his shows since I was a wee high school senior... and then we went back to our table and ate delicious mac-n-cheese, cornbread and grilled cheese (is it obvious why I chose FF?) The show was great, even if I felt a bit like a townie, and it was really fun to spend time with Liz. And now I obviously consider him my BFF and we are totally on a first name basis. Looking forward to hanging out the next time he comes to town.
Show Two: Mumford & Sons with the bf
Have you heard of Mumford? Oh, of course you have, because they just won the Grammy for Album of the Year. I was a little late to jump on the bandwagon, but ever since my first listen to Babel, it hasn't left the CD changer in my car (what's up 1998!) While I was watching them perform during the Grammy's I said to one of my friends "I WANT TO SEE THEIR SHOW SO BADLY" or something of the sort, all in caps. Less than 10 minutes later, Tres messaged me to ask how I felt about going to their show on Wednesday- as in 3 days from then. UM yes. wait- no. what?! I had a minor conflict of heart because I'm committed to our church's high school ministry on Wednesday nights, and I'd worked the last week and weekend, so I hadn't seen our students/my girls in a long time. Luckily, I was texting one of them about something else and asked her opinion. She essentially said "don't be a fool, go to Mumford"
So I went. and OH EM GEE it was amazing. A. MAZE. ING. Tres says they have "excellent musicianship"... no clue what that means, but golly gee do they play about 239932 different instruments. Each. It was like an epic game of musical instruments... and I enjoyed every minute. For two of their more popular and upbeat songs, the lead singer (Mumford?) is actually playing the drums- while singing- both perfectly. I was exhausted just looking at him. Also, so many pretty twinkly lights. (I would be such a great official concert reviewer, I know)
If you ever have the chance to go see them in concert- like within three hours kind of chance- "don't be a fool, go to Mumford"
Show Three: Little Big Town at the 9:30 with the bf
For my birthday, Liz and Billy got me two tickets to this show at the 9:30 club on Valentine's Day. They said it was a dual gift because they knew the 9:30 was a very well known venue, and figured Tres would appreciate it. He usually has to work Thursday nights, but since it was Valentine's Day, there was a special event at church so he had the night off.
I love pretty much all country music, and I'm not ashamed of it one bit. I know several Little Big Town songs, but not all of them, and it was still a really great show. The venue is pretty great, but you'd have to ask him about the system and gear etc. I liked that it was smaller and more intimate, and the balcony meant there wasn't a bad place to stand in the whole place. Little Big Town also won a Grammy this year... for Best Country Duo/Group Performance. They rightfully bragged and shared their excitement about the win. That, coupled with the awesome covers they did in the middle of the show, meant for a lighthearted, fun, all-around good time, and a great way to spend Valentine's Day with my favorite boy.
This cluster of shows means I probably won't attend another concert for a few months, but I recommend each of these artists/groups if they're in your area. Just tell Mat you're friends with me, and I'm sure he'll pose for a picture with you too :)




Comments
Post a Comment