Five for Friday: Moving Edition
I've been a homeowner for a week now, which means I can give you a few updates on the whole process.
1. Don't run out of Freon. Turns out my AC/Heat Pump will need to be replaced in the next few months. When I walked in after signing my papers last week, it was ungodly hot in my house, which I attributed to the fact that since no one lived there, the air was turned off. I turned it on and left for the evening. Unfortunately when I showed up the next day, it was even hotter, and my AC unit was just blowing warm air- not exactly what you want to have greet you on moving day. I had my secretary (Elle Dub) make a few calls and within a few hours a technician was out to trouble shoot. Turns out, all of the Freon had leaked out over the course of who knows how long, and I was essentially overheating it- much like running a car without oil, he said. Awesomesauce. Long story short, I'll eventually run out of Freon again due to the leak, and the whole thing will need to be replaced within a year. Nothing like starting off with a bang!
2. The thing I will miss most about my apartment is the 12ft windows, especially during the holiday season. In tribute to that, I let Santa say his farewells to the neighborhood as well. Tres is certainly sad there isn't room for him in my new house. (or maybe Santa is eating him?)
3. The actual move went better than I could have expected, thanks almost entirely to the organization of Tres and three of our friends from church. It only took one trip, and nothing was ruined in the process which was all I was really concerned about. Elle Dub was a lifesaver when it came to the actual packing- I don't know what I would've done without her. So, big shout out to Tres, Elle Dub, Matt, Jon and KFox, for helping me literally make the transition into adulthood.
4. Packing was annoying because in the last two years, I've accumulated way too much crap. Don't believe me?
5. Last night, thanks to a holiday call off from work, I was able to knock out the part of the process that I've been looking forward to most- painting. I finished the living room before I went to bed, and I have to say, I'm very happy with the results. More pictures to come, once everything is unpacked and situated :) (And I still don't know what color to paint the fireplace)
The no-internet thing has come in handy in terms of actually getting things done. I even got to watch a few old chick flicks last night while I was painting. It also gives me an excuse to escape to some of my favorite places (Panera, Starbucks) and people watch in my new neighborhood. Tomorrow, I start dog-sitting Oscar while Liz, Billy and Nora head to the beach, which will be a perfect way to see if dog ownership is in my future too!





Comments
Post a Comment