Happy Birthday Mr. Hipster
Last week Tres turned the big 2-4! which means this girl is no longer a "cougar" and we're back to only being a year different. (He gets a little too much joy out of those few months when he gets to call me "old" if you ask me...)
He told me a few weeks ago that he was taking the day off of work, and it was my responsibility to plan something awesome. No pressure or anything, he just moved across the country for me. Thankfully, after a few mid-night shift brainstorming sessions, I came up with the perfect simple yet awesome day.
We started at his favorite breakfast place in the city- Towson Hot Bagels, where he opened his presents and chowed down on his standard poppyseed bagel with bacon and butter.
Then we headed to The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, part 2. We'd already been to the main one in downtown Washington DC, but they have another one in a hanger out by Dulles Airport, which is home of the Space Shuttle Discovery. While there, we watched an IMAX movie about flying, rode in a couple of simulators (which he insists are NOTHING like real flying) and I watched him geek out about all of the different planes. I knew I'd picked a good location when he kept telling people "I saw a spaceship today!" as they called to wish him a happy birthday.
We were so excited about the Discovery that we took a quick trip to the moon and back.
We grabbed dinner with Liz, Billy and Nora before I headed to church to hang out with my high schoolers and he went to get a celebratory drink with some of his friends/coworkers.
All in all, I think it was a pretty successful birthday, and it made me even more excited about the fact that since we live in the same state now, this was just the first of many holidays we get to celebrate together.
He told me a few weeks ago that he was taking the day off of work, and it was my responsibility to plan something awesome. No pressure or anything, he just moved across the country for me. Thankfully, after a few mid-night shift brainstorming sessions, I came up with the perfect simple yet awesome day.
We started at his favorite breakfast place in the city- Towson Hot Bagels, where he opened his presents and chowed down on his standard poppyseed bagel with bacon and butter.
Then we headed to The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, part 2. We'd already been to the main one in downtown Washington DC, but they have another one in a hanger out by Dulles Airport, which is home of the Space Shuttle Discovery. While there, we watched an IMAX movie about flying, rode in a couple of simulators (which he insists are NOTHING like real flying) and I watched him geek out about all of the different planes. I knew I'd picked a good location when he kept telling people "I saw a spaceship today!" as they called to wish him a happy birthday.
We were so excited about the Discovery that we took a quick trip to the moon and back.
We grabbed dinner with Liz, Billy and Nora before I headed to church to hang out with my high schoolers and he went to get a celebratory drink with some of his friends/coworkers.
All in all, I think it was a pretty successful birthday, and it made me even more excited about the fact that since we live in the same state now, this was just the first of many holidays we get to celebrate together.




Comments
Post a Comment