Lion Hoops
Tonight, the WLHS Boys Basketball team plays Central Catholic in the Oregon State Title Game at the Rose Garden.
Sixteen years ago, they did the exact same thing, in what was probably the most emotional and exciting day of my childhood.
It was March of 1997, and what would turn out to be the final "normal" year of my childhood. My parents still lived together, and even if I was aware that they didn't sleep in the same room, my nine-year-old mind didn't comprehend or consider the idea of divorce. I was too busy playing and trying to flirt with Sam Tilley. (those dimples!) My brother, after years of hard work and hundreds of hours spent practicing at the basketball court across the street from our house, hand landed himself a spot on the Varsity Basketball Team, along with 8 other seniors. The winter season consisted of me running around the halls of WLHS, memorizing the "maze" just to have them tear it down before I got to high school, and hanging out with the other players' little siblings. (oh wait, there weren't any. I was hanging out with their nieces and nephews, since a couple of them were Mormon, and I was 9 years younger than my brother) I was doing my best at becoming friends with Nate's friends, who thought I was pretty stinking adorable (you're welcome, Nate) and Liz was doing her best to avoid me since she did not. Plus, as a freshman, she had a lot of popularity on the line. There was a lot of sitting on the giant golden Lion in the commons. I did a lot of running around until the game ended and Dad whistled at me.
Somewhere along the way, we all realized the team was pretty good. They beat LO and Lakeridge, and everyone else in the TRL. Actually, as back-to-back-to-back TRL champs, they'd done that before, but my brother was only part of the team for one year, so that was the only time I pretended to care about what was going on. I remember the OSAA tournament that year mostly because I had to sit in one spot and try to keep myself occupied. For the record, Nate didn't play much. I knew the other players well because I'd been the Hoop Camp snack shack queen for the two summers prior, but I didn't really like them because they were always trying to get me to give them free candy. (yeah, right) I remember that Sissy spray painted her hair green a lot, and we rarely left the house without being dressed in the good ole Green and Gold from head to toe.
During the Title Game, I found myself in the student section with Nate's friends, and there was a point during the final quarter that I closed my eyes because I was too nervous. It was an exciting game and they were down by 10 in the last quarter against stupid Sheldon, and my poor nine-year-old heart was beating like crazy. I'm competitive by nature (surprised?) and I knew at that moment, that there was nothing I'd wanted more in my short life than to see West Linn win that game. Around the time I started hiding my face, the student section started a loud, rousing rendition of "Yes, we do! We Believe in You!" I stood on my chair and joined them as loud as my little lungs could scream. Suddenly they were making basket after basket and Jared was at the free-throw line shooting to keep the lead with something like 1.9 seconds left.
And then the buzzer went off and it happend.
STATE CHAMPIONS!!!
The next thing I remember was trying to run down to the court to see my brother. They had done the whole trophy ceremony and cutting the hoop down and everything already. It was time to leave and I just wanted to give him a hug and say "You did it!" and I couldn't find him. It didn't really help that I was a mere 4 ft tall in a sea of grown ups, but all of the sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. Before I knew what was happening, his medal was around my neck and we were parting ways to meet everyone at Round Table after the game.
I can't think of any other time in my life when I felt such a range of emotions over such a short time. Fear of heartbreak and so much hope followed by pure joy and excitement, then fear and anger when I thought I lost his medal at Round Table and awe when Katie Kelly marched over to stupid Jason the manager and demanded he give it back to me.
Never was I prouder to be called Nate's littlest sister. My brother was a State Champion.
Good luck tonight boys- it will prove to be a night to remember, no matter what the outcome. Your friends and families are proud of you and grateful for the excitement you've added to their lives the last few months. And remember...
The power of the Lion is in the Pride.
and now, the pictures that made their way into my oh-so-exciting 3rd grade scrapbook from the event.
Sixteen years ago, they did the exact same thing, in what was probably the most emotional and exciting day of my childhood.
It was March of 1997, and what would turn out to be the final "normal" year of my childhood. My parents still lived together, and even if I was aware that they didn't sleep in the same room, my nine-year-old mind didn't comprehend or consider the idea of divorce. I was too busy playing and trying to flirt with Sam Tilley. (those dimples!) My brother, after years of hard work and hundreds of hours spent practicing at the basketball court across the street from our house, hand landed himself a spot on the Varsity Basketball Team, along with 8 other seniors. The winter season consisted of me running around the halls of WLHS, memorizing the "maze" just to have them tear it down before I got to high school, and hanging out with the other players' little siblings. (oh wait, there weren't any. I was hanging out with their nieces and nephews, since a couple of them were Mormon, and I was 9 years younger than my brother) I was doing my best at becoming friends with Nate's friends, who thought I was pretty stinking adorable (you're welcome, Nate) and Liz was doing her best to avoid me since she did not. Plus, as a freshman, she had a lot of popularity on the line. There was a lot of sitting on the giant golden Lion in the commons. I did a lot of running around until the game ended and Dad whistled at me.
Somewhere along the way, we all realized the team was pretty good. They beat LO and Lakeridge, and everyone else in the TRL. Actually, as back-to-back-to-back TRL champs, they'd done that before, but my brother was only part of the team for one year, so that was the only time I pretended to care about what was going on. I remember the OSAA tournament that year mostly because I had to sit in one spot and try to keep myself occupied. For the record, Nate didn't play much. I knew the other players well because I'd been the Hoop Camp snack shack queen for the two summers prior, but I didn't really like them because they were always trying to get me to give them free candy. (yeah, right) I remember that Sissy spray painted her hair green a lot, and we rarely left the house without being dressed in the good ole Green and Gold from head to toe.
During the Title Game, I found myself in the student section with Nate's friends, and there was a point during the final quarter that I closed my eyes because I was too nervous. It was an exciting game and they were down by 10 in the last quarter against stupid Sheldon, and my poor nine-year-old heart was beating like crazy. I'm competitive by nature (surprised?) and I knew at that moment, that there was nothing I'd wanted more in my short life than to see West Linn win that game. Around the time I started hiding my face, the student section started a loud, rousing rendition of "Yes, we do! We Believe in You!" I stood on my chair and joined them as loud as my little lungs could scream. Suddenly they were making basket after basket and Jared was at the free-throw line shooting to keep the lead with something like 1.9 seconds left.
And then the buzzer went off and it happend.
STATE CHAMPIONS!!!
The next thing I remember was trying to run down to the court to see my brother. They had done the whole trophy ceremony and cutting the hoop down and everything already. It was time to leave and I just wanted to give him a hug and say "You did it!" and I couldn't find him. It didn't really help that I was a mere 4 ft tall in a sea of grown ups, but all of the sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around. Before I knew what was happening, his medal was around my neck and we were parting ways to meet everyone at Round Table after the game.
I can't think of any other time in my life when I felt such a range of emotions over such a short time. Fear of heartbreak and so much hope followed by pure joy and excitement, then fear and anger when I thought I lost his medal at Round Table and awe when Katie Kelly marched over to stupid Jason the manager and demanded he give it back to me.
Never was I prouder to be called Nate's littlest sister. My brother was a State Champion.
Good luck tonight boys- it will prove to be a night to remember, no matter what the outcome. Your friends and families are proud of you and grateful for the excitement you've added to their lives the last few months. And remember...
The power of the Lion is in the Pride.
and now, the pictures that made their way into my oh-so-exciting 3rd grade scrapbook from the event.
![]() |
| take note of the overalls and gymnastics onsie that were staples of my 3rd grade wardrobe |
![]() |
| so many awesome fashion choices |
![]() |
| check out that hair! |
![]() |
| This I found under the vacuum manual in the hutch I took from Dad's house. |




Love to see Medford represented here. :) And according to people I don't know, overalls are coming back. Sooo you should probably pull that outfit out!
ReplyDelete