#westcoastbestcoast

The other nice thing about making camp a priority for us is that it gives us another chance to see our families. At one point Tres counted that we got to see over 75 people that we love and miss, so I'd definitely say it was a pretty successful trip in that regard. As always, there were people we didn't get to see, but we'll be back soon, I promise!

Tres was able to make a quick trip up to visit his sister, brother-in-law and new niece Emmalyn (who we met on our last trip west) while we were at camp. I was disappointed that I couldn't join him, but glad that it worked out for them to catch up for a bit. Babies develop so quickly that it makes it even harder to be so far away, and I'm glad that he gets to see her at least every few months.

Friday we got home from camp around noon, and Tres and I drove straight out to the airport so we could take a quick trip out to Bend to see Nate, Ashley and Everett because Liz, Billy and Nora were also in Bend, and I wanted to spend some time with my whole family together in the same place.  Luckily, since Tres in the midst of his private pilot's license, I had my own privately chartered flight.  I don't love being in a small plane, but Tres did a great job flying around some bad weather and with only a little guidance from his instructor, we landed safely at the Bend Airport.
One of the ways I kept myself distracted from the whole tiny plane flying over mountains business was to look at the beauty of the northwest surrounding me.  We got to fly by Mt. Hood and Mt. Jefferson, through the Willamette Valley and over the desert of central Oregon- it was pretty breathtaking at times.

We took advantage of the time together to facetime with my grandmother and aunts in California, and it made me grateful once again that the technology of the day allows us to be connected even though we are so far apart.  Nora didn't love sharing her mom with Everett, but by the end of the time they spent together, would tolerate it as long as someone else was giving her just as much attention.  You can read more about their trip over on Sissy's blog here.

All of my immediate family in one place at one time.  Rare and oh so special. (that's totally something my mom would say.  She came out so the adults could check out the Bend Brewfest... sounds like we should've stayed for that too)
We flew back to Portland that night and left early Saturday morning for Spokane to attend the wedding of two of my friends from Riverview Bible Camp.  Amy and Jack met the summer I worked on Summer Staff, but refused to admit that there was more than friendship going on between the two of them until a few months later.  Amy was one of my BFFs at camp that summer and even though we haven't gotten to see each other very much since I moved so far away, but it was so fun to see her and all of our other summer staffers.  We took a couple of these Charlie's Angels pictures while we were working together back in the day, so naturally we had to take one while she was in her wedding dress too (we get photobombed all the time).  For not being "dancing people" the reception was really fun and I appreciated the chance to get to see my RBC family.
We get photobombed a lot- and Coco and I almost wore identical dresses, but I changed mine last minute.

Our boss Blake (aka Blakey-Blake) Coco, Amy & Jack, Me
As much as I love Cascades and doing camp there, I'm not sure I will ever find another camp with a view like this.  Riverview is practically in Canada it's so far north, but the views are to die for- especially from the top of the climbing tower.  We had quite the adventure getting to the top since we're too lazy too walk, but that made it all the more fun.  Also, maybe you can see why they call it Riverview?

It's always fun to go back to Riverview with Tres because we met there, but he also spent 3 summers there before me, so he always has great stories, and we enjoy seeing what updates are happening and talking with the full-time staffers that we've built relationships with over the years.


We've been trying to convince Coco to move to Maryland ever since she came to visit.  I don't think she'll move, but we've at least convinced her to come visit again :)
There were some wind issues that high up, and there was a bee chasing me around the platform, and Coco hates hugs.
 





Paradise, found.  We spent the afternoon in the brand-spanking-new hammock village on the waterfront at RBC, and it was so gorgeous- August is one of the best times to visit the Northwest.  It was a welcomed break because it felt like we were going non-stop from the moment we landed.

Overall, it was one of the best trips home I've had.  Tres and I were talking about how great the trip was, and we couldn't have planned it better if we had tried.  So many thanks to our family and friends for making it such a great trip!

Comments

Popular Posts