Dear Future Vickie-

If you've seen me in the last six months, or follow my instagram feed, you've noticed that back in October, I made a serious chop-

Ever since then, I've been mentally taking notes about what having short hair is really like.  It takes about two years to grow my hair completely out, and then it usually takes me about six months longer than that to start talking about chopping it all off again.  Before October, the last time I'd cut my hair short was my freshman year at Valpo (which I recently realized was 7 years ago!?) and I'd been forcing myself to keep it long because before that I'd never really left it long long enough to know what I liked about it.  During my #longhairdontcare stages of life, I always fantasize about what it's like to have short hair.  So since I don't want to fool myself into any false thinking...

Dear future Vickie, who is contemplating chopping all of your hair off (again)-

1. No, it doesn't curl any more than it does when it's long.  In fact, it actually looks worse curly because there's only enough hair for about one natural "wave" which looks about as good as you are picturing it right now.  Stop thinking that it might look more like Liz's when hers is short- yours isn't that curly.  Oh, you had a baby?  Is your longer hair curlier than it used to be?  No?  your shorter hair won't be either.  The "weight" doesn't make that much of a difference, stop telling yourself that it does.

2. Short hair takes longer to do.  Stop believing what everyone else says about "short hair is easy!" Your hair is not.  Remember how you're lazy and most of the time throw your hair in a messy bun and call it a day (or night)?  You can't do that with short hair.  You and I both know that you don't have hair that does well with "air-drying" so unless you have the 15 minutes to blow dry it, followed by the 10 minutes needed to straighten it, don't even think about showering before going somewhere- you will be late.  Yes, it is faster to straighten, but you have to always "do" it if you're going to go anywhere, and let's be real here- you're not that kind of girl.

3. It makes you look even younger.  This might be debatable, but in general, you look younger with short hair than you do with long hair.  Especially when you feel inclined to wear it in pigtails since it won't fit in a real ponytail.

4. You still shed just as much.  Yes, the hairs are shorter, but they are still everywhere.  You do feel better about yourself as a person for a few months since you always donate your chopped hair to Lock of Love, and imagine that it makes at least 3 wigs.

5.  Less variety in hairstyles.  There are only about 2 different options for short hair- straight and curly (and we talked about the curly) so you look pretty much the same all the time.  night shift at work? add a headband.  church on a sunday? straight hair.  wedding? straight hair.  date night? straight hair. Notice how lately you've been wearing it up, down, half-up/half-down, braided, bunned, messy bunned, curly?  Isn't it nice to be able to dress up and dress down with your hair?

6.  Short hair gets in the way of dirty diapers.  enough said.

7. Great hair days are few and far between.  Have you noticed lately that you've had a lot of great hair days?  say goodbye to them once you chop.  This might be related to #5, since you get tired of the same hairstyle all of the time, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've thought "damn, my hair looks GREAT today"... one hand in six months!  Remember how a great hair day makes you feel like you can take on the world, or finally be confrontational and call whomever you've been needing to call about making whatever appointment you've been putting off?  (go call them. now.)

8.  Tres hates it.  and he tells you he hates it a lot.  and asks when your hair is going to be long again about about once a day.  Yes, you are in control of your own hair, but the complaining gets tiresome after a while, so it's probably not worth it to exercise your independence here.

Sincerely,
current short-haired Vickie

Comments

Popular Posts